Juneteenth is a 155-year-old holiday celebrating the emancipation of African-Americans from slavery in the U.S. It is celebrated on June 19 (the name is a combination of the words “June” and “nineteenth”) because on that date in 1865, Major General Gordon Granger of the Union Army landed in Galveston, Texas and informed slaves that the Civil War had ended and slavery had been abolished.
SAAC and the JL King Center and the Jurors reserve the right to remove any piece from the Juneteenth Celebration Art Contest that, in their judgment, fails to adhere to the rules. This ensures equitable treatment of all submissions while also maintaining the integrity of the Juneteenth Celebration Art Contest.
1. Submissions for this competition must fall into one of the following categories:
1. Visual Art (including drawing, painting, photography, sculpture, etc.)
2. One work/piece per submission. Participants are allowed to submit one piece per category, not exceeding 3 total submissions per person.
3. Artwork must be an original piece, completed solely by the participant.
4. Accepted artwork must be related to the theme of what Juneteenth means to you.
5. Accepted works must NOT extend more than 24" on any one side, and no piece may weigh more than 75 lbs.
6. Accepted artwork must have a description tag attached to the back of the piece that includes 1) Artist Name, and 2) Title of the piece.
7. Submitted artwork is subject for use by the JL King Center and the Starkville Area Arts Council.
8. WORKS WILL NOT BE FOR SALE.
Deadline to submit works is May 24, 2022
Applications and submissions may be submitted in person at the JL King Center or online through www.starkvillearts.net
Submissions will be judged in 4 groups:
● K- 3rd Grades
● 4th-8th Grades
● 9th-12th Grades
● College - Adults
Each age group and category will have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
● 1st Place $100 Gift Card
● 2nd Place $75 Gift Card
● 3rd Place $50 Gift Card
The first 30 individuals to submit to the Juneteenth Celebration Art Contest will receive a $25 gift card. Limited to 1 per person. Subject to submissions that meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
We use Submittable to accept and review our submissions.